I’m big into comfort food and, to me, comfort food generally means something hot and hearty and, if possible, smothered in butter or cheese. For that reason, cornbread has always been a comfort go-to for me. It’s soft and sweet and warm and carbilicious, and I can drown it in butter and honey 🤤
I’ve been making the same cornbread for years, and recently decided to spice things up a bit (pardon the pun) with jalapeños. When I make “spicy” foods, I don’t like them to be overly spicy… or like… spicy at all. I like just enough spice to think “oh yea… that’s got a little kick” and then keep eating. Mouth burning, eyes watering, nose running, cartoon steam coming out my ears isn’t my jam, so that’s what you’re looking for here, move along… this is not the cornbread you’re looking for.
This sweet and spicy cornbread has a touch of honey and is infused with jalapeño butter. It’s sweet with a nice hint of spiciness at the end, and it is the perfect side dish for everything from salads to BBQs to baked chicken.
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
Sweet + Spicy Cornbread Muffins Ingredients
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Jalapeños, diced
Sweet + Spicy Cornbread Muffins Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Heat butter and diced jalapeños in a pan over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until butter melts and is bubbly (about 2-3 minutes), then remove from the heat and set aside. It is important the butter has a few minutes to cool so the hot butter does not cause the egg to scramble when the two are mixed.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, crack an egg and whip with a fork. Add in the milk and honey and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture and the butter and jalapeños into the dry mixture. Stir until ingredients are combined (but don’t over mix!).
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin and bake for 18-20 minutes. The tops should be golden and springy to the touch.
Optional step 7: smear with butter and enjoy 😜
Make sure you tag me on Instagram when you make these so I can see how they turned out. You can also use my hashtag #KarissaInTheKitchen when you make any of my recipes!